Thursday, October 7, 2010

Director of food services

There have been 2 reoccurring names in my research Hal Mason and Sonya Elder. I still need to chase down Mr. Mason who seems to be in charge of all the scheduling, everywhere. The only thing i knew about him was, i rejoiced last year when we got late starts because of MCAS. I had heard that it was him and was excited about the new assistant head master and more prospective time off. Sadly none ever came and his name faded away, until now. I have seen him surveying the lunch room crowd. Anyway I went down to the head masters office type place in the atrium to see who i could talk too. A nice lady at one of the desks gave me Sonya Elders name and email saying i should contact her. She also said that Ms/Mrs Elder was friendly and liked to hear from students. So i have sent her this email:

Hello Ms Elder,

I am a senior at Brookline High doing an English project about our cafetaria and was told i should talk to you. If you have a minute it would really mean a lot to me if you could reply. My project mainly focuses on the lines and structure. I don't know if this is your area or not. If you only need with the actual food, then my mistake.The lines don't seem to be as efficient as they need to be. It takes away from the rest and resuscitation that lunch is supposed to provide. The payment system while superb on the paying end (though now they have added the "you can't even go into 20 cents of debt policy" which makes one stay on top of things) is weak on the payment end. I guess the new debt policy plays into this as more kids need to put in more small bills more often if they wish to eat. Anyway with only one machine the line to put in money is almost as the one to buy food. So i guess my question is do any of these things under your jurisdiction? if so, i have more questions and more understanding of the thought process to do, if you could spare a few more minutes. If not then i hope this letter was not too much of a bother.

Thanks,
Vikrant
Chandel



Ok so i hope this gets me somewhere. I'm also not a hundred percent sure what to ask her if it does fall under her, but i guess we will see. (oh and i know it is not a brilliant letter and the end is to if heavy, but that was the mood i was in.)


4 comments:

MisterFischer said...

Don't rely on e-mail. It may take too long. Give his woman a call (I can help you get the number). She'll have a lot of ideas to share, I suspect. Get going, though. You need to be talking with her and Mr. Mason immediately.

Marni Musmon said...

I think the letter was a good idea. It shows determination. However it does seem to be "heavy". I would have just stuck to the beginning where you explained that you were doing a project about the lunch lines and asked her to contact you. That way it would have seemed short and sweet (not to mention would have taken nearly no time to write). However your letter still shows great effort and thats what counts. Like Mr. Fischer said: follow up! Good luck!

Gabi said...

This looks like a great letter. Mr. Mason is definitely hard to track down, so I would approach him whenever you see him, even if he is patrolling the cafeteria. He not often in his office, but he seems to mill around a lot, so I would take advantage of that.

Thomas said...

What are possible solutions? Maybe there could be a schedule type thing where people bring in money once a week (say $20) on a given day of the week (say freshmen on monday, sophomores on tuesday etc.). Getting another money-putter-inner machine? Is that feasible? They should totally break down that wall that forces the line to funnel through a small space. :D also, take into consideration that such long lines encourage people to buy the unhealthy fast food (because its faster than the more healthy food which is located out of the general path of the line, and there's always a huge line there, too).