Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I-search

So my project is slightly out there, but it should be interesting. I want to see if writing you name on an assignment affects the grade you get. I would like to see if there is an intentional or unintentional bias when grading assignments. I am not even necessarily opposed to their being a bias if one exists. I assume it has helped as well as hurt me evening out maybe in my favor. However I feel like it is something we as students deserve to know. It is going to be hard to test and the results even harder to back up, but I have heard my share of students complaining about teacher bias to thing some exploration is worth it.

4 comments:

MisterFischer said...

I'm not sure how you'll measure this. Can you get lots of classes to do this experiment? I'm not sure how you'll carry out this research.

MisterFischer said...

I'm not sure how you'll measure this. Can you get lots of classes to do this experiment? I'm not sure how you'll carry out this research.

Marni Musmon said...

I was going to say the same thing as Mr. Fischer how will you collect data and PROVE that teachers personal feelings towards students affects the grades they receive? If you can pull it off than I think the results will be fascinating. I think that some teachers grade on bias, but it will be a huge challenge to prove that is true.

nile said...

i really like this idea. to go about this one might take some time. you can write one paper and have one person hand it in. then wait for sometime for the teacher to forget about it and then have someone else hand it in. then compare if there is a difference.