Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cafeteria lines

So my new topic is the Cafeteria lines. Why they are ridiculously long? how it is effecting students? Why has this happened now? How can we change it? This affects my everyday life as I buy lunch. School lunch is one of the most important facets of an education. Clearly kids need food to get through the day. With this new system especially in second lunch is resulting in some kids not ending up with lunch and if they do get lunch, they have to waist a bunch of their time, which is supposed to be a break. Kids go up, see the horrendous lines, decide to go hang with their friends and when they return during second lunch the food has been taken away. This whole situation is really bad and really not conducive to learning.

4 comments:

Gabi said...

I agree that this is a problem. I'm glad you're looking into it! Who are you going to talk to about it? Maybe the person in charge of food services. Another thing you might want to do is see how many people seem to be drawn away from the cafeteria from the lines.... I'm not sure if this is possible, but you could stand near the line and count how many people go up and change their minds. You can also survey people waiting, because I'm sure some people have great ideas. Do you think the revenue of the cafeteria has been effected?

jsax said...

This is an interesting issue, but I miss your old topic

Elon said...

Gabi's got good advice here. Get in touch with the director of food services ASAP.

Should we move to having three lunches? Some schools do.

Make sure you're following Laurie's blog (she's in the other class). She's a bit ahead of you with this and I think you'll find her work helpful.

Marni Musmon said...

I think this new topic will be much easier to research (which I'm sure is why you switched) and possibly more important. I was actually talking about this yesterday with a friend... like Gabi I agree that this is a huge issue. Food provides the body with essential energy that is necessary for students and ATHLETES. If you can't eat during the school day you won't have as much energy and this will effect academic performance. Even today I went to second lunch, waited in line and then realized all of the sandwiches in the little refrigerator thing were gone! The lunch ladies need to be making sure that they can restock food in between lunches because its just not fair to the students who have second lunch. Maybe you could incorporate that in your research- not just finding out how long the lines are but how much food is usually left by the beginning of first lunch compared to the beginning of second lunch.